Friday, April 17, 2009

Michael...

Michael has had an eventful month. On St. Patrick's Day morning Michael called me at work asking me if he could dye his contacts green. I obviously said NO but I allowed him to experiment with dying his tongue green.

Over the past couple months I have seen his frustrations with being the little brother. As AJ gets older and gets to do more things I have tried to help Michael direct that energy into some positive things.

I am thankful to live in a day & age where we have cell phones because its a little easier to be a nervous mom. Its reassuring to know that I can call and find out where they are if I ever need to track them down. One day after school Michael gave me quite a scare. Earlier that morning he asked if he could walk home after school. When he walks he is always home before 3:00 but that particular day, AJ beat him home which never happens. AJ & I waited for a couple minutes then we decided to go out to look for him. We went to several of his friends houses and none of them had seen him. We drove up and down every street between our house and the school with no luck. After about 25 minutes looking I really started to panic. Should I call the police? Should I call and tell Adam? We went to the school and they called for him over the speaker with no luck... AJ & I prayed together. School had now been out 1 hour and 15 minutes. I didn't know where else to go or look for him? I was so mad, upset & scared and terrible thoughts started going through my mind that no mother should have to consider... School had now been out 1 hour and 25 minutes. Somehow my car wandered to a neighborhood just west of ours and I remembered him talking to Jessie on face book. I didn't really know they were friends but I knew where she lived and I knew she sometimes walked home. I pulled up to the house and asked the mom if she had seen Michael. She said that she had picked Jessie up from school and she hadnt seen him. She called for Jessie in the house and then checked the backyard to ask her if she had seen him. Well anyway, there he was with about 10 other friends playing in the backyard. I had never been to that house before and as far as I know, he had never even played at her house before so for me to find him there was truly an answered prayer.

Micheal also had a lead role in their school play Treasure Island as Captain Smollett. When I found out that he had a lead role I was quite surprised and nervous but as we practiced his lines together I realized he was quite talented and had memorized his lines almost perfectly. When it came time for the play he was very comfortable on stage, his microphone worked perfectly and he didn't miss any lines! Who knows, maybe I have a little actor on my hands?

Michael continues to enjoy drawing and art. Below is an egg that he painted and the shell happened to crack during the process. When he pealed it, there was a perfect spider web pattern on it. He thought it was pretty cool and used my camera to take a ton of pictures so he could draw it later.

1 comment:

Alison Day said...

WOW! Great job Michael! I am so impressed! Scary story about not being able to find him! He sounds like he is a little social one to get caught up with friends like that! I'm sure he also got a little reprimand :)