Friday, June 18, 2010

Our First 5K!

It isn't sufficient just to want--you've got to ask yourself what you are going to do to get the things you want. --Franklin D. Roosevelt

It's true! Today, Adam & I did our first 5k with the boys but before I get to the details of the race, I would like to give a little background story first. Earlier this year Adam & I entered a weight loss journey together. It has been difficult and has required a lot of sacrifice but all the hard work has paid off. Adam weighed in yesterday and has lost 60 lbs! The weight has not come off me quite as quickly and although its not much to brag about compared to Adam's success I have proudly lost 15 lbs since March (29 lbs total since early 2009). We both feel great and the healthy habits we have learned are here to stay. Adam hit his goal of losing 60 lbs so as a reward he is taking 1 week off then will hit the pavement hard again. His goal is to lose an additional 20 more pounds by September. My goals are just to eat right and exercise consistently and hope that it will be enough to prompt a side effect of weight loss. I lose it too slowly to set big goals so I need to keep in simple and focus on the benefits of eating right and exercise.

The Race....

On Saturday, June 19th Adam, I, AJ, Mike did the Walking With Angels 5k at the Thanksgiving Point Gardens. It was a beautiful summer morning and the perfect place to participate in our first 5K as a family. Every morning for the past month Adam & I walk 3 miles per day (sometimes twice a day) so it wasn't difficult, in fact it was easier than expected and both Adam & I were able to jog most of the 3 miles at our own pace. AJ was operating on 5 hours of sleep so he fell behind and walked most of it but Mike left us in the dust right out of the gate! 5K's are great because anyone can participate. There are the young, the old, the large, the small, the fit the not so fit. There were many groups running for a cause or in memory of someone close to them. I ran behind one lady who was running in memory of her dad David. Another group in memory 10 year old Tiffany who recently died from an undiagnosed disease. Some groups wore bandanas on their head and many of them wore custom made t-shirts. One girl had a t-shirt that said "Most people only dream of angels, I held one in my arms". She was running in memory of her baby sister. Today I wasn't running for a cause which I am thankful for but its good to know that there are great events in our community that provide an outlet for people to honor their loved ones in a positive way. Click HERE to read Adams thoughts on the 5K.

Here are our offical times...

Mike placed 6th out of 15 participants in Male ages 12-14 with an official time of 30:20 (fastest 5k so far!)

AJ placed 19th of 20 participants in Female ages 55-59 with an official time of 58:35 (No I did not type this wrong. He raced under my mother-in-laws name because she unfortunately broke her toe two days earlier and couldn't attend. There was only 1 other lady who was slower in that age group....ha,ha)

I, Shelly, placed 47th of 73 participants in Female ages 35-39 with an official time 42:45

Adam placed 17th of 24 participants in Male ages 35-39 with an official time of 39:31!

2 comments:

PDXTingeys said...

That is awesome! Way to go guys!

Lee & Kindra said...

I am so proud of all of you! Congrats on all the success!