Monday, September 15, 2008

Biking to Shaker Heights, Ohio



OK - this might sound cheesy but its keeping us motivated to exercise each morning. First some background info... At the beginning of this summer, Adam & I bought some road bikes and would bike for 45 minutes every morning before work. Our motto was "5 miles before 5am". It might sound like torture, but it actually wasn't that bad. The air was nice & cool, the streets were very quite and everything is very peaceful that early in the morning (although barking dogs and hissing sprinklers can be quite un-nerving that early in the morning). Anyway, a couple weeks ago we purchased some indoor bikes so we could continue our biking routine without fearing death or injury. If you have traveled the roads of American Fork lately, you'll know what I mean. Every road is torn up and under construction for the pressurized irrigation project. (I have a feeling it will soon be the subject of "things that annoy me" on Adam's blog - just wait and see.) If you ask me, falling into a trench at 4:30 in the morning would not be a good way to start the day. Adam has admitted that there are some mornings that he sleeps through most of the route so there was a very good possibility that I could have been missing for hours before he ever noticed that I was gone. Well, enough on that... Anyway, one day I was curious about how many miles it was from our house to Ali & Kolby's. In case you are wondering, it is 1,763 miles. It gave me the idea that we should set a goal to "bike" to Ali & Kolby's house. So I made a chart and every morning we log our miles and track our progress to Shaker Heights, Ohio. Right now we are averaging about 17 miles a day combined. As soon as I get my "heart condition" figured out, I should be able to contribute more but until then, Adam has to work out extra hard to compensate for my minimal contributions. So far we have logged 168 miles... only 1,595 miles to go! Our goal is to bike all 1,763 by the end of the year. In order to achieve that, we are going to have to step up our game! Look out Ali & Kolby - here we come slowly but surely.

2 comments:

Alison Day said...

Awesome goal!! Way to go. We can't wait for you get here :0)

Alison Day said...

Awesome goal!! Way to go. We can't wait for you get here :0)